Here is my design proposal for this senior year project. Keep in mind that it is not set in stone:
Senior Design Proposal
Topic:
I have always been interested in books, reading, writing, and the like. Therefore, I would like to design for that subject area. Specifically, I would like to choose the Vancouver Public library as my site of focus.
Thesis:
The Library is always eager to hear what types of materials their patrons are interested in. However, there is a lack of user feedback from these patrons. There are implementations such as “Suggested Purchase” forms which patrons can suggest their desired materials, but these forms remain largely obscure to the public. Therefore, I would like to design a communication strategy between the library and the communities they serve.
Audience:
The communities of the public are my audience. In general, library patrons include parents with children, seniors, middle-aged adults, and students. Many come to the library as a recreational site, while others use it for their school studies. The library concerns the population of Vancouver, which has a diverse ethnic range and would be interested in seeing materials fitting their own languages.
Objective:
To build a communication tool between the Library and their patrons so that the library will know what their patrons’ interests are and be able to expand and cater their library material collection based on those needs.
Criteria:
I would like to work with using interactive media and perhaps supporting print media. The library’s computers are a popular tool for patrons to obtain information, whether through the Internet, catalogue, or online databases. It is even referred to as their “23rd branch.”
Research:
Primary Research - Interviews and observations.
Alison - Firehall branch
D’Arcy Stainton, Children’s Librarian - Mount Pleasant branch
Gail - Fraserview branch
Mary Duffy, Britannia branch
Marilyn Mac Pherson, Children’s Librarian - Kensington branch
Susan - South Hill branch
Secondary Research - Online articles, websites, and print materials.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library
http://chronicle.com/free/v48/i12/12a03501.htm
http://www.vpl.ca
Learning Goals:
I would like to be an interactive designer. For this semester, I want to deepen my technical skills in interactivity such as Flash and website building as well as learn more about the career opportunities in this field.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment